Welcome to Anigasm!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to Anigasm!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is PKB the only relgious member here?

+7
Dana-Scully
ikillu
yellowrock
x13
Cloud
Cat Montgomery
Mach
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is PKB the only relgious member here? Empty Is PKB the only relgious member here?

Post  Mach Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:35 am

WELL, IS HE?
Mach
Mach

Back to top Go down

Is PKB the only relgious member here? Empty Re: Is PKB the only relgious member here?

Post  Cat Montgomery Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:21 am

Well, I'm atheist, and so is cd
anyone else?
Cat Montgomery
Cat Montgomery

Back to top Go down

Is PKB the only relgious member here? Empty Re: Is PKB the only relgious member here?

Post  Cloud Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:04 pm

I'm just flat out non-religious. I don't even concern myself with what will happen to me after I die, I'm curious, but I don't really take a side.

Not to sound retarded, but religion is kind of a "dying Fad". Less and less people are believing in God(s) all the time. I think it mainly has to do with the internet and people being able to see what's going on in the world, and constantly being updated and seeing how no signs of the afterlife having eternal glory. If I had to guess, within 500 years, if the human race is still around, religion will be dead.

That is unless we actually find proof of some God by than.
Cloud
Cloud
Admin

https://anigasm.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat Montgomery Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:45 pm

I don't consider it a dying fad. Though you are right about less people being religious.
It saddens me to know that only 51% of people in the US believe in evolution. I would think that we are an advanced enough society that people would stop relating everything to religion, and think logically
Cat Montgomery
Cat Montgomery

Back to top Go down

Post  Cloud Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Well it seems like, if humans don't understand something, they relate it to religion. It's always been that way, like in ancient Greece (or the Rome, I always get them mixed up, it's stupid, I know) when they didn't know why the sun rose and fell everyday, so they said that Apollo pulled it on his chariot across the sky. So when they learned why the sun actually rose, they stopped believing that.

So when society finally learns something that disproves the current theories about religion, hopefully they will begin to trust more in Science.
Cloud
Cloud
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat Montgomery Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:46 pm

It's sad that 49% of people don't understand evolution (according to what you said).
Cat Montgomery
Cat Montgomery

Back to top Go down

Post  x13 Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:54 pm

The Catholic church today believes in a lot of scientific methods and theories, so you can be logical and religious at the same time. Newton, Einstein, Kepler, and Galileo believed that there must be a higher power out there.

While you may think religion is a dying fad, the idea of a god is not.

If you think about it, evolution and the big bang theory only happened in a one in a million chance. So the universe didn't have to be beautiful or organized, it could of been chaotic. We can all think that these theories and equations are logical reasons to not believe in god, but we can't very much understand how and why it got there in that certain way.
x13
x13

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat Montgomery Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:59 pm

x13 wrote:The Catholic church today believes in a lot of scientific methods and theories, so you can be logical and religious at the same time.
Just because the official church believes it, doesn't mean it's followers do. I know a shit ton of Catholics who don't agree with evolution, think the world is only 6000 years old, think there was some huge ass flood that killed everything, etc.
It really makes me fear what the future of the world will be like.
Cat Montgomery
Cat Montgomery

Back to top Go down

Post  x13 Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Cat Montgomery wrote:
x13 wrote:The Catholic church today believes in a lot of scientific methods and theories, so you can be logical and religious at the same time.
Just because the official church believes it, doesn't mean it's followers do. I know a shit ton of Catholics who don't agree with evolution, think the world is only 6000 years old, think there was some huge ass flood that killed everything, etc.

The reason why I brought that up was because I was trying to prove that the reason why they don't believe in evolution has nothing to do with their religious beliefs, but merely their personal beliefs or intelligence.
x13
x13

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat Montgomery Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:34 pm

x13 wrote:
Cat Montgomery wrote:

The reason why I brought that up was because I was trying to prove that the reason why they don't believe in evolution has nothing to do with their religious beliefs, but merely their personal beliefs or intelligence.
Well there's something we can all agree on.
All-in-all: Catholics = Shit
Cat Montgomery
Cat Montgomery

Back to top Go down

Post  x13 Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:47 pm

Cat Montgomery wrote:
x13 wrote:
Cat Montgomery wrote:

No. The Catholics you know who don't agree with evolution are shit, the true Catholics who believe in theistic evolution (as the pope does) are not shit.
x13
x13

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat Montgomery Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:13 pm

x13 wrote:
Cat Montgomery wrote:
x13 wrote:
Cat Montgomery wrote:

No. The Catholics you know who don't agree with evolution are shit, the true Catholics who believe in theistic evolution (as the pope does) are not shit.
Cat Montgomery
Cat Montgomery

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowrock Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:27 pm

>thread about religion
>instant generalization

hurr durr

I am not religious. I do not believe that all life came from single cell organisms, which came from random strings of protein, which came from nothing, etc etc etc.

The theory of evolution is just that, a theory. It hasn't been proven to be 100% true as a creation theory.

I don't think religion will ever completely die out, just adapt and change as time goes on. The current big three monotheistic religions may go the way of the dodo bird, because the texts they rely on are gradually being rendered more and more obsolete as time goes on. It gets tiring seeing people use the word "religion" to refer specifically to Abrahamic religions, because there is so much more out there.
yellowrock
yellowrock

Back to top Go down

Post  x13 Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:03 pm

yellowrock wrote:
I don't think religion will ever completely die out, just adapt and change as time goes on. The current big three monotheistic religions may go the way of the dodo bird, because the texts they rely on are gradually being rendered more and more obsolete as time goes on. It gets tiring seeing people use the word "religion" to refer specifically to Abrahamic religions, because there is so much more out there.

Have you ever heard of the framework interpretation?
x13
x13

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowrock Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:08 pm

x13 wrote:
yellowrock wrote:

nope.
yellowrock
yellowrock

Back to top Go down

Post  x13 Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:32 pm

yellowrock wrote:
x13 wrote:
yellowrock wrote:

nope.

Let's take a step back before I get ahead of myself. What text did you think was being rendered?

I had something like book of genesis/seven day creation in mind, but I could be wrong.
x13
x13

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowrock Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:40 pm

x13 wrote:
yellowrock wrote:
x13 wrote:
yellowrock wrote:

nope.

Let's take a step back before I get ahead of myself. What text did you think was being rendered?

I had something like book of genesis/seven day creation in mind, but I could be wrong.

Things like that yes, and basic things that don't really fit into modern society.

I'd have to actually read a bible to give you specific examples, but I'm not just talking about scientific things.

I'm not talking about most of the basic moral teachings or anything, most of those are generally common sense though.
yellowrock
yellowrock

Back to top Go down

Post  x13 Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Well I brought up the framework interpretation because it talks about how the book of genesis/seven day creation is merely for literary and symbolic purposes and not used to be taken literally and chronologically (a lot of people like to bring that part up so they can prove it wrong scientifically).

So with that hypothesis in mind, text wouldn't have to be rendered, which kind of fits the teachings into modern society.
x13
x13

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowrock Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:50 pm

x13 wrote:Well I brought up the framework interpretation because it talks about how the book of genesis/seven day creation is merely for literary and symbolic purposes and not used to be taken literally and chronologically (a lot of people like to bring that part up so they can prove it wrong scientifically).

So with that hypothesis in mind, text wouldn't have to be rendered, which kind of fits the teachings into modern society.

That thought process is kinda sorta what I'm talking about. People used to follow the bible word by word, but over time, as society advanced as a whole, they start taking it as more and more abstract. Eventually it'll probably just degrade into "god made earth", instead of a strict set of teachings.
yellowrock
yellowrock

Back to top Go down

Post  x13 Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:15 pm

But it's not a devolution of Christianity. No one's getting lazy, it's just another way to look at the stories (not teachings) in the bible. It still follows all the rules and teachings it gives out.

Don't think of it as someone taking away from the meaning of the bible, but adding on to it (In the least diluted way of course).
x13
x13

Back to top Go down

Post  ikillu Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:52 am

Cat Montgomery wrote:I don't consider it a dying fad. Though you are right about less people being religious.
It saddens me to know that only 51% of people in the US believe in evolution. I would think that we are an advanced enough society that people would stop relating everything to religion, and think logically

Considering 'evolution" breaks the laws of thermodynamics, I have to wonder where you logic is...

That being said, I do believe in adaptation. Evolution does have a place. It is just that, at its current state, the theory is full of holes. That does not say it is not real. Just needs more study and work.

As to a dying fad, that's just funny. The truth is athiesm is a fad amongst the younger members of our society. Not saying it is not a legitimate belief, but rather kids do it as a form of "rebellion" against society.|

The internet causing it? Do you think people weren't able to get news before it? We had news papers and reporters beforehand you know. Oh, and a magical device called a telivsion.

ikillu

Back to top Go down

Post  ikillu Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:58 am

Also, yellowrock. They are "common sense" today. Do you think they were 2000 years ago?
The answer is no. Hell, you can look in other cultures (none western/Judeo/Christin) and see many of them missing (before invasion of Western Culture).

Common sense is anything but common.

ikillu

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat Montgomery Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:51 pm

ikillu wrote:The internet causing it? Do you think people weren't able to get news before it? We had news papers and reporters beforehand you know. Oh, and a magical device called a telivsion.
The advancement of internet news broadcasting has definitely taken a toll on religion. Now, people can find out ANYTHING in seconds,when before they had to rely on what was being broadcasted on TV, what was printed in the newspapers, what their government allowed them to learn (which sadly is still in effect in other countries today).
Cat Montgomery
Cat Montgomery

Back to top Go down

Post  Dana-Scully Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm not really religious, but I have a pretty strong faith in a higher power.
I'm a pretty big fan of JC, too.
Dana-Scully
Dana-Scully

Back to top Go down

Post  Cloud Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:12 pm

The point still remains that religion is just used to make things that we don't understand explainable. Their is an infinite amount of possibilities about what created the earth, what happens after we die, etc. etc. So it makes sense that people are losing faith when they're starting to see how so many other things could be true.
Cloud
Cloud
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum